Saturday, November 3, 2018

I would wish it on my worst enemy

It's part of human experience to have someone say things about you that aren't kind or true. As long as humans have been sinning, we've been accusing one another falsely and maliciously. But it isn't a part of everyone's experience to have those accusations posted on public domains (though, I fear it is increasingly more common in these days)

Politics has sadly become an arena where many of us have stopped looking for kindness or truth. Seems like too much to ask these days. So many years of so many politicians saying whatever they can to get elected has most of us jaded and cynical, or, at the very least, uncertain about what and whom to believe.

So when a politician wrote something in the Fayetteville paper yesterday about my Dad, it wasn't entirely surprising. It was, however, hurtful and disturbing.

My Dad is not a politician. He is the legal advisor for the Sheriff of Cumberland County. The opposing candidate wrote an op-ed piece that appeared in Friday's Fayetteville Observer. Kindness and truth were not the motivation behind the piece- but winning definitely was.

Jesus told His followers to rejoice when people insult you and say all sorts of evil against you because of Him. After my Mom read me Charlie Baxley's letter, I prayed for Jesus to give me and my family- especially my Dad, that kind of joy.

Jesus is kind, and He is the TRUTH. So I think He would also want me to replace some of the false and misleading accusations. The truth about my Dad is that he is a wise advisor with forty years of legal experience. He has a heart for the marginalized and compassion for the less fortunate. He wants the law to keep all citizens of Cumberland County safe. He truly believes in the law- something that is so rare in a world filled with skepticism and corruption. He believes that the law, when exercised rightly, has the power to keep the people safe. He is devoted to teaching and maintaining that law for the safety of the deputies and the people of Cumberland County. He does not take anything for granted or use it for  his personal gain. He has served on more leadership committees and boards than I could even count, and has been selected over and over again to provide wise counsel to leaders in churches, community organizations, even the state of North Carolina.  He works endlessly and flawlessly. He leads with integrity. He advises with wisdom. He sees and goes with compassion.

Jesus also told His followers this..

But to you who are listening I say: 
Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you... 
Do to others as you would have them do to you. 
Matthew 6: 27-28 & 31 

I confess that I have completely failed at obeying this difficult command. But, in recent days, I've begun to understand a little bit better why clinging to Jesus here is so vital for the soul. When someone curses you by saying false and unkind things about you, you become especially vulnerable to the lies. These lies can steer you in one of two terrible directions- 1) Self-defense, self-righteousness and pride or 2) Self-loathing and doubt. Sometimes these directions have the uncanny ability to double back and cross over on one another. I should know, I've crossed those paths so many times over many years.

But, when we obey Jesus here, we align ourselves with His love. We choose to walk His narrow path. We know that we are sticking with Him, and we are trusting Him to stick with us. His heart toward the ungrateful is filled with kindness (Luke 6:35) We also are trusting Him with the outcome, placing the "fairness" of unfair situations in His sovereign hands. He knows that such things are too much for our human hearts to bear. Our emotions will crush us if we replay them over and over, or we will bury them and they'll eat us from the inside out.  The safest place to hide our hurt is with Him.

So, these days, I'm wishing good things for my worst enemies. Truly my heart is pouring out blessings, like those I would want to receive. May God be gracious and merciful. May He be kind, compassionate and true. May He guide into wisdom and grant understanding. May He give life to the full, and make Himself known. May He provide sunshine and shade. May He not let sickness or sadness prevail. May He give joy and abundance. May He not let despair overwhelm. May He not allow you to be wise in your own eyes. May He humble your heart and then lift up your head. May He replace a heart of stone with a heart of flesh. May His blessing rest upon you and may you enjoy peace with Him and His people. May you see your salvation in His Son Jesus, and may He become your greatest joy and reward. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment