Saturday, August 18, 2012

What I didn't do this summer.


 I don't have anything profound to say today but I just wanted to reflect on the summer because, like every summer before it- It was here, and now it's gone. When you're a teacher and you go back to school, everyone asks one another, "Did you have a good summer?" and then the next question inevitably is, "What did you do?" And I've found that, unless someone went on a spectacular vacation, the answer is almost always, "Not much." I wonder if we teachers shouldn't ask one another, "What did you NOT do this summer?" I bet that we would get a lot more info if we reversed the question. So I thought that, just for kicks, I would answer the question in this way and write about what I didn't do this summer, and how bad it wasn't.

1. I did not wake up at 5AM. Not even once.
2. I did not grade anything.
3. I did not answer emails from upset parents.
4. I did not ever not have the energy to cook dinner.
5. I did not stay pasty white. ;)
6. I did not have to miss my mom so much- I was with her for almost a month!
7. I did not miss quiet time- not perfect on this one, but I did commune with God almost every day.
8. I did not love every book that I read, but I did read five.
9. I did not get so busy that I had no time to spend with my husband.
10. I did not miss many long morning walks with Gats & Daisy.
11. I did not avoid the media- I have been for two years for personal reasons- but after time to rest and renew my mind, I subscribed to Austin American Statesman and read BBC news almost every morning.
12. I did not feel guilty when I stayed in bed reading and dozing off until almost noon.
13. I did not drink as much soda or eat as much junk food.
14. I did not miss any opportunity to play soccer. (that I was in town for)
15. I did not miss many of the Olympic events- including watching Team USA Women's soccer win gold.
16. I did not stay in Texas all summer- spent time in the NC mountains and beach! :)
17. I did not stop desiring reconciliation and healing in the broken areas of my life.
18. I did not stop dreaming about how to become a better teacher.
19. I did not stop wanting to know Jesus authentically.
20. I did not rest completely- there was always something to think and pray through, but I did rest, and I'm more convinced than ever that this year I will need to rest in the shadow of the Almighty to not repeat some of the same stressful things and sinful mistakes that happened over the past two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment