Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Grateful #15- iPhone

Today, I'm grateful for the little device that fits in my pocket, but connects me to people around the world.

I have a love/hate relationship with my phone. I hate the way that I can pay attention to its screen instead of my daughter when we're at the breakfast table. I hate how I can check Facebook a dozen times a day (or more) to see how many people have liked a photo I've posted. I hate how the news stories that pop up are consistently tragic.

But there are some things about my phone that I'm thankful for.

I'm thankful for group texting. I have one ongoing with some of my co-laboring mommas. We tend to send funny stories and photos to help each other laugh through the trying times with our little people. I have another one that keeps me connected with some of my closest sisters in Christ- two in Texas and one in Russia. Those texts turn into prayers, and that group chat has got to be a fragrant aroma to our King.

I'm thankful for the Audible app. At this stage it's hard to sit down with a book (though I still prefer printed text) But Audible gives me access to thousands of titles that can whisk my mind away to solve a mystery or learn something new while I'm on a walk or in the car or folding laundry.

I'm thankful for the fitness apps I've been using that are helping me stay motivated to get back in shape. They remind me to drink water, or encourage me to stay the course with my fitness goals- accountability that I appreciate nowadays, because I cannot stay motivated on my own.

I'm thankful for the camera feature that makes it possible to capture the many adorable moments of childhood happening around me all the time.

I'm thankful for the music app. One of my favorite challenges right now is finding music to add to Story's playlist that she and I can enjoy together, especially since we ride at least an hour almost every day. Yesterday I added "Seeds of Praise" Christmas...an album that includes scripture verses about the birth of the Messiah put to music.

I'm thankful for podcasts. Everytime I hear Ira Glass's voice on "This American Life" I feel like a spell has been cast on my world. For that hour, while the stories are told, all is warm and well. I also hang onto the truth that Tim Hawks tells me in the Hill Country Bible Church podcast. His recent sermon on the idol of status revealed to me (not for the first time) how I desperately need to worship God more than the acceptance and approval of mankind.

A phone is a tool, but unlike any other tool in human history, the features of this tool have the ability to capture my heart and mind. I'm thankful that God has given me self-control, so that I am able to choose to use that tool for good and His glory. I am weak and often don't exercise that self control as I ought to. It's a process for me, but I'm thankful for these good ways my phone is used as a tool to connect with others,  give and receive encouragement, engage with the world, and glorify God.








No comments:

Post a Comment