Thursday, November 9, 2017

Grateful #9- The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness

Image result for the freedom of self forgetfulness
Just a few minutes ago, I changed from my "out and about" clothes to a pair of "stay in" clothes. It was dark in my bedroom when I pulled a pair of leggings from a drawer, and I couldn't tell if the leggings were black or navy blue. I lamented my inability to tell for a moment, because I wanted to put on a red and black buffalo check flannel, which is especially cozy and perfect for this cold, wet day. I thought for a minute that navy doesn't match that shirt, so I hoped that the leggings weren't navy. Then thought... Seriously, have I actually just wasted a minute thinking about this? Who cares? It doesn't matter!

That reminded me of a little book my friend Robin shared with me a few years ago. It's titled The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness. This tiny book (it's only 44 pages!) unpacks a gigantic truth that's based on Paul's letter to the Corinthians. Paul writes, "I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I don't even judge myself...it is the Lord who judges me."

I admit that I lose sight of this truth most of the time. I do care what people think of me, and I do care what I think of myself. But, if you ever read this book, Tim Keller will help you understand that caring about such things steals the joy God intends for you to have. The antidote to insecurity isn't a higher opinion of myself...it's the freedom to forget about myself, and enjoy God and His gifts and callings in my life. Self-focus diverts our vision from God and His people. Self forgetfulness allows us to focus on that which brings true joy.

So, today, I am grateful that it doesn't matter if my pants are navy or black (they were black, by the way). I don't have to focus on myself. God has given me the freedom of self-forgetfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment