Friday, November 3, 2017

Grateful #3- "Mommy, wait!"

Story suffers from an affliction common to 2 1/2 year olds, especially those with new little brothers or sisters. She's got a pretty serious case of "mommy-itis." She doesn't like to be separated from me, especially for something that's off-routine. She can get to preschool, BSF and church nursery without too much trouble, but if I try to step out the door for a yoga class in the evening, or even walk into another part of the house to take care of a task, she cries out, "Mommy, wait!" and then moves her little toddler body as fast as she can to catch up with me.

Baby girl, I understand. I feel the same way. I like to be with my Mommy too. And that's my gratitude for today- I'm grateful to get to be with my Mom.

Today, my Mom and I are going to the Holly Day Fair. It's a tradition we've had since I was in high school. She went yesterday with her friend Ann (they have that tradition too- they always go during the stroller-free hours... lucky devils) She sent me pictures of the good stuff and I am so excited to join in the fun today. But it's not really because of the stuff. It's because it's our tradition- me and my Mom. It's the start of our holiday season. It's a celebration of the good cheer that is coming- and I'm so grateful to get to start that celebration together with her. 

My best friend lost her Nana this fall. It's been hard. It's reminded me that our beloved ones are not here forever. God gives and takes away, and I don't know that we can ever be prepared for the taking part. So today, I'm here, resting in this moment where I can say, "Mommy, wait!" And she will wait. She has always waited. And I am so thankful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment