Thursday, November 16, 2017

Grateful #16- Home


The kids and I spent Tuesday night at my mom and dad's so that Andy could focus on some work commitments. It's always fun to have a "spend the night" at Grandmommy's. I like it because I don't have to cook dinner, and I can just sit at the kitchen table afterwards and chat with my mom while my dad cleans up. Story likes it because she gets to cuddle up with Granddaddy and watch plenty of "Thomas choo-choo" before she goes to bed.

But when I picked Story up from preschool on Wednesday, she said she wanted to take her nap in "Stow-ee's bed." I assured her that we were headed to our house. It's nice to get away, but nothing beats stepping back into your own house. For me, that's a house that smells of cinnamon and coffee and baby powder. A house that is filled with furnishings from thrift stores, CraigsList and other people's castoffs. A house with walls adorned with pictures of the places we've traveled. 

I watch a lot of HGTV while I clean or cook and I love the renovation shows. My house would probably be featured in the "before" section of one of those shows, when the people are talking about how they want an open concept floor-plan and they cannot possibly make it another day without a chef's kitchen (even though half of them don't cook) ;) But I like it. I like each cozy room. I like the built-ins in the den where our color-coded books flank the fireplace. I like the dining room, where we all sit down for dinner on most nights. I like imagining what my stairs will look like with Christmas garland wrapped around the railing. I like sitting in the bed with Grey at bedtime and hearing Story's footsteps heading down the hall... a book and a blankie in tow. This house is snug, warm, sturdy and ours.

Homes are only as beautiful as the love inside them. That's a great thing to remember whenever I'm feeling like I need some of those HGTV updates. I'm grateful for this home because I love being here with the people who live inside it. I hope we fill it up with love, and make it even more beautiful.



No comments:

Post a Comment